|Natural Cures Herbal Supplements Herbal Remedies for Arthritis|
Herbal Remedies for Arthritis
Arthritis is a group of conditions where there is damage caused to the joints of the body. It is the leading cause of disability in people over the age of 55. Arthritis is frequently accompanied by joint pain.
There are many herbs that have been used for centuries to deal with arthritis. For example, Ginger is said to relieve the symptoms of arthritis when taken regularly. Arthritis patients can safely use herbs and herbal preparations. Most of these not only give relief to manifested symptoms of arthritis but also produce effects on the whole body to root out the disease. These herbs can cure the disease and enhance the body's immune system to repel future recurrence of this disease.
1. Allium sativum (Garlic, Lasuna) - The bulb is used in medicine. It is used extensively in the treatment of rheumatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, sciatica, cervical spondylitis, lumbago and backache.
It can be used either in the form of a paste or juice. Because of its pungent taste and smell, half a teaspoonful (2.5 gm) of the paste or juice of this drug should be used along with two teaspoonfuls of honey twice a day. It works better if taken on an empty stomach. But in some patients its pungent taste and smell may cause nausea. In such cases, it should be taken after food.
It is also used in the form of powder, decoction, ointment (for external use), milk preparations, collyrium (externally for eye-diseases), medicated oils, medicated ghee, alcoholic preparations, linctus (thick syrup) and tablets.
Diseases of the joints such as rheumatoid arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and gout are caused by defective metabolism and as a result of the ageing process. To correct both these conditions, garlic is administered to patients, which also rejuvenates the body.
2. Commiphora mukul (guggulu) - The gum is used in medicine. It is one of the important medicinal plants popularly used for the treatment of rheumatism, rheumatic arthritis, gout, neuritis and increase in the blood cholesterol.
It is also popularly used to reduce adiposity that is the excessive accumulation of fat in the body. Freshly collected guggulu does not help in reducing fat. If it is stored for two or three years and thereafter used in medicine then it works as an agent to reduce fat in the body.
3. Paederia foetida (prasarani) - The leaves are used in medicine. Prasarani is used in the treatment of rheumatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, sciatica and any form of muscular pain. It is also used in the treatment of diarrhea, dysentery, loss of appetite and toothache.
4. Aluchea lanceolata (rasna) - The whole plant including its leaves, stems, roots and flowers is used in the preparation of medicine. It is used in the treatment of rheumatic arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, backache, sprains and sciatica. It is also used in the treatment of fever, constipation and colic pain.
5. Ricinus communis (eranda) - The root, seed, leaf and its oil are used in medicine. The leaves are applied externally to alleviate joint pains. The oil and the seed are used externally and internally in the treatment of pain in the joints including rheumatic arthritis, osteo-arthritis, back pain, sciatica and cervical spondylitis. It is commonly used as a purgative. The root bark is used internally for the treatment of these ailments. It is also used for muscular pain, ulcers, eye-diseases, colic pains, flatulence, neuritis, fever, scorpion-stings and menstrual disorders.
6. Strychnos nux-vomica (kupilu) - The stem bark ad dried ripe seeds are used in medicine. It is used in the treatment of rheumatic arthritis rheumatoid arthritis, gout, sciatica, backache, lumbago, frozen shoulder and all types of muscular pains. It is also used as a nervine tonic, digestive stimulant, cardiac tonic and aphrodisiac.
7. Vitex negundo (nirgundi) - The entire plant including its leaf, stem, flower, root and stem bark are used in medicine. It is generally used for rheumatism, rheumatic arthritis, osteo-arthritis, sciatica, lumbago, pain in the chest, cervical spondylitis and pain in the calf muscles. In addition, it is used in the treatment of fever, worms in the intestines, cough and kidney disorders. It promotes menstrual flow, and therefore it is used in cases of low menstrual bleeding. It is a promoter of hair growth and eyesight. It is especially used for the treatment of earache and in case of pus coming out of the ear.
8. Zingiber officinale (ardraka sunthi) - The rhizome is used in medicine. It is extensively used both as an ingredient of food and as a medicine in the treatment of rheumatism, rheumatic arthritis, sciatica and cervical spondylitis. It is also used in the treatment of amoebic dysentery, dyspepsia, anorexia, cold and malaise, constipation, earache, sprain, sprue syndrome, vomiting, colic pain and menstrual disorders.
Home Remedies |
Vitamins and Minerals |
Natural Skin Care |
Ayurveda | Meditation | Yoga | Massage Therapy | Aromatherapy | Hair Loss | Weight Loss
-- Men Health | Women Health | Senior Health --
About us | Links | Sitemap (1, 2) | Health Articles | Natural Cure Blog
Copyright © Natural-Cure-Guide.com All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for educational purposes. The information in not given as medical advice nor is it intended to propose or offers to propose a cure for any disease or condition. Before starting any medical treatment, please consult your physician.