|Natural Cures Herbal Supplements Herbal Remedies for Asthma|
Herbal Remedies for Asthma
The main form of treatment for asthma is inhalers and breathing therapies. However, there are some herbal remedies for asthma. Herbs like garlic and primrose oil can be helpful for preventing inflammation and encouraging relaxation of essential muscles. Right herbs for asthma help to catch your breath and also reduce attacks by strengthening your lungs and immune system.
Since these herbs produce no adverse effects when used for prolonged periods, there is no fixed course of treatment of asthma with these remedies. They can be safely used until the patient becomes absolutely free from the disease and even for a few days thereafter to prevent recurrence of the ailment. These herbal remedies work primarily at the site of origin of asthma, that is, the stomach and the intestines. They simultaneously correct the channels of circulation, help in the removal of waste products from the body, prevent the production of these waste products and correct the site of the manifestation of the disease, that is, the lungs.
All these herbal remedies for asthma have anti-allergic effects and they are anti-spasmodic. All of them liquefy phlegm and mucus accumulated in the chest and thus works as expectorants. They remove inflammation in the bronchial tubes, promote circulation in the alveoli and tone up the musculature of the lungs. Thus, even in old persons who have emphysema and bronchiactesis, these herbs produce considerable relief; and is used for a prolonged period, might even cure these physical deformities. Here are some of the common and most effective herbs for asthma.
1. Adhatoda vasica (vasaka) - The entire plant including its leaves, stem, flowers and root is used in medicine. It liquefies sputum, helps in its removal from the chest and facilitates breathing. It is, therefore, very commonly used in the treatment of cough and asthma. It is also used in the treatment of piles (bleeding), jaundice, fever, vomiting, skin-diseases, constipation, tuberculosis, urinary disorders and bleeding from different parts of the body, especially menorrhagia.
2. Clerodendrum serratum (bhargi) - The root, stem bark and leaf of this plant are used in medicine. It is extensively used in the treatment of cough, asthma, catarrhal infections of the lungs. It is also useful in the treatment of stomach disorders, parasitic infestation, fevers, tumors, inflammation, hiccups, consumption, tuberculosis, epilepsy, fevers and burning sensation.
3. Curcuma longa (haridra) - The rhizome is used in medicine. Externally, it is used in the treatment of scabies, itches, eczema, bolts, abscesses and eye-diseases. Internally, it is used for the treatment of asthma, cough, cold, fever (especially for convalescing mothers after childbirth), obstinate skin diseases, urticaria, jaundice, constipation and parasitic infection. It is often used as a food supplement and invariably added to curry powder.
4. Ephedra vulgaris (somalata) - The entire plant is used in medicine. It is generally used in asthma and bronchitis. It is also used in the treatment of rhinitis, cold, sinusitis and hay fever.
5. Inula racemosa (puskara mula) - The root is used in medicinal preparations. Externally, it is used in the treatment of sprains and bruises. Internally, it is used in the treatment of cough, asthma, sore throat and pharyngitis. It is also used in the treatment of skin disease of the heart, diseases of the liver and heart, cold, malaise, fever and convulsive disorders.
6. Piper longum (pippali) - The fruits and the root are used in medicine. It is used in the treatment of cough, cold, asthma, tonsillitis and pharyngitis. It is also used in the treatment of nausea, menstrual disorders, gout, epilepsy, flatulence, colic pain, diseases of the spleen and liver, headache, sleeplessness and tuberculosis.
7. Rhus succedanea (karkata srngi) - The galls are used in medicine. The galls are useful in asthma, cough and phthisis. They are also used in diarrhea, dysentery, loss of appetite, irritation of the stomach, fever, bleeding from the gums and vomiting. Externally, they are used for psoriasis and eczema. These galls are especially used for the treatment of bronchitis asthma and diarrhea in infants.
8. Solanum xanthocarpum (kantakari) - The whole plant is used in medicine. It is used in the treatment of cough and asthma. It is also useful in the treatment of fever, cold, urinary disorders, vomiting, sore throat and toothache.
9. Solanum indicum (brhati) - The entire plant is used in medicine. It is used in the treatment of cough and asthma. Its root is carminative and an expectorant. It is also used in urinary disorders, flatulence, chronic rhinitis and toothache.
10. Terminalia belerica (bibhitaki) - The roots are used in medicine. It is used in the treatment of bronchitis, tonsillitis, pharyngitis, laryngitis and bronchial asthma. It is also used in the treatment of eye diseases of the hair, intestinal parasites, stone in the urinary tract, constipation, chromic diarrhea, dysentery, wounds, ulcers, fevers, urinary diseases, piles and scorpion stings.
11. Terminalia chebula (haritaki) - The fruit pulp is used in medicine. It is used in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis, tonsillitis, laryngitis and pharyngitis. It is also extensively used as a tonic and as a laxative. It is also extensively used as a tonic and as a laxative. It is useful in the treatment of piles, oedema, skin diseases, diarrhea, dysentery, eye-diseases and diseases of the heart.
Home Remedies |
Vitamins and Minerals |
Natural Skin Care |
Ayurveda | Meditation | Yoga | Massage Therapy | Aromatherapy | Hair Loss | Weight Loss
-- Men Health | Women Health | Senior Health --
About us | Links | Sitemap (1, 2) | Health Articles | Natural Cure Blog
Copyright © Natural-Cure-Guide.com All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for educational purposes. The information in not given as medical advice nor is it intended to propose or offers to propose a cure for any disease or condition. Before starting any medical treatment, please consult your physician.