|Natural Cures Vitamins and Minerals Magnesium Supplements|
Magnesium is an essential element necessary for the oxidative phosphorylation enzymes. It is essential for the normal metabolism of calcium and potassium. It is a constituent of bones in combination with phosphate and carbonate, and is present in all body cells.
Various functions of magnesium in our body are:
• Magnesium ions activate the enzyme phosphatase, which accelerates the action of bone phosphatase.
• Magnesium activates muscles phosphatase, and as a member of a complex coenzyme system takes part in the chemical changes underlying muscular contraction.
• Magnesium helps formations of bone and teeth.
• The distribution and function of magnesium ion is generally antagonistic to that of calcium ion.
• Helps in utilization of Vitamin B and E, and functions with minerals calcium, sodium, and potassium to maintain fluid and electrolyte balance.
• Helps in production of lecithin, which checks cholesterol and atherosclerosis.
• Helps in preventing calcium deposits in kidneys and gallstones.
• Magnesium is necessary for normal neuromuscular contractions.
• Magnesium along with vitamin B-6 or pyridoxine is effective in prevention and treatment of kidney stones.
Natural Sources of Magnesium
Soyabean, leafy vegetables, and nuts are good sources of magnesium. Hard water has high magnesium content in it whereas milk is a poor source.
Daily Requirement of Magnesium
The RDA (recommended daily allowance) for infants is 40 mg during first 6 months, 60 mg in the second 6 months, and later at the rate of 3.0-4.5 mg/kg weight or 350 mg for adult men and 300 mg for women. Its presence in normal diet is generally enough to meat its requirement in the body.
• Prolonged deficiency of magnesium can cause loss of calcium and potassium in body, and consequent their deficiencies.
• The deficiency of magnesium can cause magnesium-tetany, wherein blood magnesium falls, blood cholesterol rises, and the calcium content become very high in the soft tissues, especially in the muscles and the kidneys. It causes vascular disturbances, severe excitability, and lack of energy, increased or decreased reflexes, convulsions and untimely death.
Home Remedies |
Vitamins and Minerals |
Natural Skin Care |
Ayurveda | Meditation | Yoga | Massage Therapy | Aromatherapy | Hair Loss | Weight Loss
-- Men Health | Women Health | Senior Health --
About us | Links | Sitemap (1, 2) | Health Articles | Natural Cure Blog
Copyright © Natural-Cure-Guide.com All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for educational purposes. The information in not given as medical advice nor is it intended to propose or offers to propose a cure for any disease or condition. Before starting any medical treatment, please consult your physician.