|Natural Cures Vitamins and Minerals Potassium Supplements|
Potassium is one of the most important, widely and generously distributed of all the tissue minerals. It is essential for maintaining normal functions of nerves, muscles, cardiac functions and enzyme reactions, apart from regulating and balancing body fluids within and outside body cells. It cheeks the blood pressure from rising because of sodium.
In blood it is, 200 mg in whole blood, 15-20 mg is plasma, 180 mg in cell all per 100 ml. it is 12-17 mg per 100 ml of cerebrospinal fluid.
The excretion is 2-3 gm per day through urine, and varies with the intake amount. At the time of potassium deficiency the kidneys reabsorb more it. With high meat diet, and is later stages of fasting, when tissues are breaking down, potassium excretion rises.
• It is necessary for normal muscle contraction and helps in prevention of fatigue and depression.
• It helps reduce the risk of stroke especially in people with high blood pressure.
• It maintains intracellular osmotic pressure as potassium chloride.
• It maintains intracellular reaction as-phosphates, bicarbonates, and proteinates-potassium constitutes a very important buffer system in the cell.
• It transports carbon dioxide by being present in red cells.
• Its ions help in prolong relaxation and inhibit cardiac contraction.
• Its ions inhibit muscular contraction.
• It influences the function of nervous system.
• As an alkalizing agent it prevents hyperacidity by maintaining a proper acid-alkaline balance in the blood and tissues.
• It promotes secretion of hormones and helps kidneys in detoxification of blood
• It prevents female hormonal disorders by stimulating the hormone production.
• The use of potassium helps in treating low blood sugar, muscle abnormalities, leg cramps and sciatica.
Natural Sources of Potassium
Potassium is found in abundance in nuts, fruits, vinegar, paprika, green and leafy vegetables. Its other important sources are dates, wheat germ, potatoes, bananas, tomatoes, spinach, oranges, meat, cabbage, peas, peanuts, skimmed milk powder, seeds, fish and poultry.
Daily Requirement of Potassium
The RDA (recommended daily allowance) of 2 gm of children and 4 gm for adults is recommended.
• Potassium deficiency result in slow heart rate, scarring of heart muscle, hypertrophy of kidneys, paralysis of muscle, retarded bone growth, excessive fragileness in bones, lethargy, loss of appetite, and sterility.
• Its deficiency would create a craving in pregnant women to eat clay, irritable temperament, weak memory, excessive perspiration of the hands and feet, slow healing of ulcers and fractures.
Potassium in Excess
• Excess intake of potassium can cause various heart irregularities.
Home Remedies |
Vitamins and Minerals |
Natural Skin Care |
Ayurveda | Meditation | Yoga | Massage Therapy | Aromatherapy | Hair Loss | Weight Loss
-- Men Health | Women Health | Senior Health --
About us | Links | Sitemap (1, 2) | Health Articles | Natural Cure Blog
Copyright © Natural-Cure-Guide.com All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for educational purposes. The information in not given as medical advice nor is it intended to propose or offers to propose a cure for any disease or condition. Before starting any medical treatment, please consult your physician.