|Natural Cures Vitamins and Minerals Vitamin B12 Supplements|
Vitamin B12 Supplements
Vitamin B12 plays an important role in the synthesis of nucleic acid. Deficiency of it causes a disturbance of the DNA metabolism. This vitamin helps in connection with the formation methyl groups and in the reactions of transmethylation as in the biosynthesis of methionine.
Vitamin B12 cooperates with folate in the synthesis of DNA so deficiency of either leads to megaloblastosis. Vitamin B12 has a separate biochemical role, unrelated to folate, in synthesis of fatty acids in myelin.
• It participates in various reactions in metabolism of fat, protein, and carbohydrates.
• It helps in increasing appetite and promoting growth in children.
• It is essential for regenerating and forming of red blood cells, nerve tissues.
• It is stored in the liver, from where it passes to the bone-marrow and helps in the maturation of red cells. It is thus essential for formation and maturation of red cells.
• It works as a general tonic for the aged persons.
• It facilitates concentration, balance, memory, and disease fighting.
• It increases the white cell count and the platelets through its action in the bone-narrow. It plays an essential role in the synthesis of nucleic acid.
• It maintains normal health and activity of certain parts of the nervous system, by curing pernicious anaemia.
• It influences the formation of lipid from carbohydrate.
Natural Sources of Vitamin B12
Important sources of Vitamin B12 are milk, eggs, liver and meat.
Daily Requirement of Vitamin B12
The recommended daily intake for Vitamin B12 is 1 mcg for adults and 0.2 mcg for children. Vegetarians need to increase the intake of milk or take Vitamin B12 as a supplement.
Vitamin B12 Deficiency
• Its deficiency causes megaloblastic anemia, pernicious (destructive) anemia, demyelinating neurological lesions, infertility.
• Its deficiency affects nervous system and often leads to lack of proper growth, inflammation of tongue, fatigue syndronme and anemic conditions.
• Its deficiency is felt severally in the blood forming tissues of bone marrow and intestinal tract.
• Its deficiency causes hyperglycaemia, mucosal atrophy and inflammation of tongue, mouth, etc, degenerative lesions of the posterior and lateral columns of the spinal cord.
Home Remedies |
Vitamins and Minerals |
Natural Skin Care |
Ayurveda | Meditation | Yoga | Massage Therapy | Aromatherapy | Hair Loss | Weight Loss
-- Men Health | Women Health | Senior Health --
About us | Links | Sitemap (1, 2) | Health Articles | Natural Cure Blog
Copyright © Natural-Cure-Guide.com All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Information provided on this site is for educational purposes. The information in not given as medical advice nor is it intended to propose or offers to propose a cure for any disease or condition. Before starting any medical treatment, please consult your physician.